Aims and Mission
SiMERR Australia works with rural and regional communities to achieve improved educational outcomes for all students in the areas of Science, ICT and Mathematics so that:
- Parents can send their children to rural and regional schools and know they will experience equal opportunities for a quality education;
- Students can attend rural or regional schools and realise their academic potential in Science, ICT and Mathematics; and
- Teachers can work in rural and regional schools and be professionally connected and supported.
We will support student achievement and enhance teacher growth through research, preservice, inservice, community and overseas programs by working collaboratively with communities, educational authorities, professional associations and industry groups to develop solutions to the problems faced by teachers, particularly those who are professionally isolated.
- To provide a national focus for issues relevant to Science, ICT, and Mathematics Education in rural and regional Australia.
- To undertake strategic research into critical areas of need related to the enhancement of student learning outcomes in rural and regional Australia that will inform curriculum development and professional teacher learning
- To bring together, as a coherent body of knowledge, new current and past research and professional development initiatives directed at improving rural and regional education in these subject areas.
- To facilitate communication and collaboration among all stakeholders.
- Establish and support State/Territory hubs
- Undertake a national survey to identify issues in teaching Science, ICT and Mathematics
- Link with national bodies
- Create a dedicated Web site
- Develop research agendas responsive to rural and regional needs
- Apply for ARC, DEST and other competitive grants
- Model of best practice
- Identify or create solutions
- Provide directions and advocacy for rural and regional education policies
- Disseminate information via the Web
- Establish professional networks
- Work closely with state and territory education providers
- Convene a summit.