QuickSmart instructors attend three 2-day professional development workshops. The professional development program accompanying QuickSmart is focused on supporting QuickSmart instructors to understand and provide:
Professional Development Learning Outcomes
As a consequence of the program and professional development experiences, QuickSmart instructors will learn to:
- use time as a dimension of learning and practice;
- incorporate concepts of automaticity (Quick) and accuracy (Smart) regularly in their teaching;
- structure learning activities to help encourage success;
- plan to address individual student needs over an extended period;
- assess and monitor student needs unobtrusively in their teaching programs;
- create a highly motivational learning environment for students;
- integrate assessment tasks into each lesson;
- facilitate learning in a non-competitive environment that focuses on individual improvement; and
- design and develop activities that improve students' information processing abilities by freeing up working memory.
During the course of their professional development, instructors will also develop an understanding of how:
- automaticity requires conceptual understanding and efficient, effective strategy use; and
- assessment provides ongoing formative information relevant to the progress and design of each individual student's program.